vrijdag 1 juni 2012

Andrea Mohr presents “Inversion”

Picture by Karen Kikkert
1. Please introduce yourself to our readers. (Who are you, where do you come from and what is your field of specialization?) 
My name is Andrea Mohr. I was born and raised in the city of Bonn in Germany. After high school I went to live in Tokyo for one year and then came to Maastricht in the Netherlands to pursue my studies in fashion design. I specialize in womenswear, in which I explore different techniques and prints. 
Lately, I've increasingly focused on prints and the “lenticular effect”, that simulates moving images. 
After graduation, I will further specialize in this and work towards a collection and a range of accessories that will be exhibited as part of MARKED!, an initiative of Designplatform Limburg and C-Mine in Genk that works with ten young designers and helps them produce and sell their products. These items will also be sold in selected stores at the end of the year. 


2. Tell us a little bit about the concept behind your collection. 
The keywords for my collection that I will show at Fashionclash Maastricht this year and that is also my graduation collection would be fluidity and movement. Shapes that are born of a combination of draping and tailoring represent the struggle between free movement and control. The print is an extension of this. Print on fabric itself, especially digital printing, can be quite static and I wanted to make the print “move”, like a hologram. 


3. What does the name “Inversion” say about your collection? 
Inversion signifies a sudden change, something turned upside down. I hope that people will perceive this when seeing my collection in movement! 


 
4. What served as the inspiration for this collection? 
I was initially inspired by the modern dance piece “Haze” by Chinese choreographer Wang Yuanyuan that deals with the current economic changes and the shift that is taking place between the East and the West. Dancers in this piece dance on a mattress-like surface that makes it hard for them to be in total control of their movements, of which the result is a beautiful fluidity. 
I wanted to translate this movement in both shapes and prints. I also came across a really interesting book about Chinese ceremonial paper gowns, which served as a starting point for the silhouettes and colours. Traditional handcraft, such as Chinese knotting, will also be incorporated. 


Picture by Kiet Duong
 5. Tell us more about the textiles and prints you used. 
 I worked with a high-tech, printed and aluminium-coated fabric that creates a kind of 3D-effect. I wanted a really modern look for the prints, so I used a printed silk as a base and then layered the “3D-fabric” with the same print on it. The effect is quite interesting as it looks like a hologram of the print. 


 6. If you were to describe your collection in 3 words which ones would you choose? 
 3D, fluid, elegant. 


 7. How do you personally define “fashionclash” or “a clash with fashion” for yourself? 
 The most interesting ideas and concepts within fashion are born from clashes! I see Fashionclash as a platform where we can show our individuality! 












Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...