maandag 4 juni 2012

Introducing Ivo Bakkes

1. Please introduce yourself to our readers. (Who are you, where do you come from and what is your field of specialization?) 
My name is Ivo Bakkes, I was born in Sittard, and I’ve lived in Maastricht, Amsterdam, Düsseldorf and currently Maastricht again. My field of specialization is graphic design.


2. How long have you been working with FASHIONCLASH? 
I have been working with FASHIONCLASH since 2010. I only missed out on the first edition and in 2010 and 2011 I did all the design work together with Till Kramer. This is the first edition on my own.


3. You have experienced several FASHIONCLASH projects/events. Can you tell us something about this experience and what it was like? 
It is an overwhelming and impressive event which makes you forget in that moment that you are in the small town of Maastricht. It shows that ambition and talent are not only to be found in the big cities.


4. You are making the FCM catalogue again this year. Can you name a few names of the FCM 2012 participants that you like based on their catalogue image? 
As every year Femke Angema’s work impresses me but also Lonneke van der Palen’s work is very good. She did a very good shoot with Branko, one of the FASHIONCLASH founders.




5. Tell us a little about your creative process. Where does it start and where does it end? 
Most of the time my creative process starts with a conversation; talking to the people that have a communicational problem. It almost always ends with holding the piece of print, realizing that many things should have been done differently...


6. Can you mention a few of your favorite projects so far? 
My own? FASHIONCLASH 2010, 2011 and 2012, of course. My other project In One Piece, a series of exhibitions that take place on one evening, presenting the works of several designers form different disciplines. They all get to show one piece of their work and it’s about creatives getting to know each other here in the region (graphic design but also concept, curation and organization). Made In Europe Film Festival definitely belongs to my favorites, too.

 7. What fascinates / inspires you in general? 
People on the street. Just everyday life. I love being in cities, walking through the streets observing people in their behavior, way of clothing, and the context it takes place in. Also typography in every way. On buildings, cars, brochures, self made invitations of relatives, airports. They all have a way of communicating.


8. Who is your favorite artist? 
I love Piet Mondriaan. I once stood like 20 centimeters away from one of his black and white abstract works and saw the craftsmanship in his work. It really impressed me.

 9. Is there a graphic designer or studio that you admire? 
Yes, for example Wim Crouwel and nowadays Jop van Bennekom. What Jop does with his magazine "Fantastic Man" inspires me. Love the way it is designed but also edited, too. The perfect combination and a welcome refreshment in the big world of fashion and graphic design. When I was an intern at Solar in Amsterdam, Bart de Baets was working there. His work in a way is pretty awkward, even ugly, but it fascinates me. For me Remco van Bladel, who was my mentor during my internship, is one of the best designers around. It’s too many...


10. What can we expect from you in the future? 
I really don't know. I think considering my profession, growing as a designer is one of my goals; being more autonomous as a designer.
 
Ivo Bakkes

11. How do you personally define a “fashion clash” or “a clash with fashion” for yourself? 
For me the Clash is between fashion, art, theatrical performances, music, photography and graphic design. It all comes together and is one. Maybe for me a real clash doesn't exist. It all goes perfectly together, that’s the beauty of art and design.










Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...