donderdag 25 april 2013

Meet fashion designer Maddalena Mangialavori

Please introduce yourself: My name is Maddalena Mangialavori and I'm a young Italian fashion designer. I've always had an inexplicable but visceral passion for fashion, and after my BA in fashion design in Florence I decided it was time for me to do a more "international" experience. So I came to London. I just graduated at a Master Level, after 17 months of hard work, in Fashion Design Technology at London College of Fashion.

What inspires you in general? I'm a traveller. I've always been since I was a kid, and I'm used to absorb as much as I can from the places I visit, from different cultures, different traditions. I would say inspiration comes from opening yourself to a certain reality and let some of that reality touch your chords. But inspiration is just the beginning of a journey, it just points me a direction and once I find it I usually spend a loooot of time researching and digging on a certain topic, and THAT really feeds my creativity.

Where are you based? I now divide myself between London and Italy.



What is it like to be a young designer in your city/country?
Being a designer in London means being part of a beating heart. London is so alive and young you never get bored and it's so good for networking. I am always so excited about meeting so many people from all over the world, I feel that really enriches my experience as a person and as a designer! While Italian's reality is much more closed, especially to young people. I wished this was different.

What place/city do you find inspiring?
I don't have ONE favorite place for inspiration. I find inspiration everywhere I go, different places give me different inputs.

What is the concept behind your latest collection?
My last collection was inspired by the analysis of the objectification of women in our society. Because the woman is object, I used upholstery fabrics to give an image of a woman "blending in with her home furnishings". I was inspired by the work of Allen Jones and his interpretation of Human Furniture such as the set "Chair, Table and Hat Stand" (1969). I tried to integrate that with the elegance of my Italian heritage and the quality of materials and fabrics my country provides. Describe your collection in three words: Chic, High-End, Feminine
What kind of feeling do you want to transfer with your collection?
My goal was to create something glamourous and luxurious giving value to the handmade and to the quality of the very special fabrics I used. The entire collection was sourced and manufactured in Italy, and uses traditional Italian handicraft techniques like crochet and leather. Did you always wanted to work in the field of fashion? I wanted to be a designer since I was a child and able to hold a pencil and draw. It just came instinctively.

Do you have a muse? If yes, who is it and why?
I don't have a specific muse to rely on, I am inspired by many grand women from the past especially. Also, when drawing, I often wonder "what would my grandmother think about this outfit?". My grandmother was my role model in a way, she was a very sophisticated and elegant woman and I think I absorbed a little bit of her world and use it within my creations. Who is your favorite fashion designer? My icon as fashion designer is beyond any doubt Valentino, the so called "last emperor". But I also adore Bottega Veneta for their use of leather and the sophisticated design.

What is so far your greatest experience in your 'fashion' career?
My greatest experience so far was presenting my collection on the 15th february 2013 at the Royal Opera House during the London's Fashion week. It was a dream come true.

What is on your music list while your making your collection? 
Louis Armstrong, Django Reinhardt, Nina Simone...

What made you smile today? It was a typical London's rainy day, but when I looked out of the window I noticed the roses in my garden have finally bloomed.

What is the latest thing you bought for yourself? some leather boots.

What can we expect from you in the future? To see more collections! I'm already working on the next one!




Credits: 
Design: Maddalena Mangialavori
Photographer: Sya Groosman

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...