maandag 6 mei 2013

Meet Georgina Santiago from Spain

Please introduce yourself: 
My name is Georgina Santiago, I am from Igualada, a town near Barcelona, Spain, and I graduated in June 2012 at ESDI, Barcelona. Nowadays, I create synergies between fashion and art with a constant obsession for color.

What inspires you in general?
Colors are my main inspiration. I found out that color can tell more than a word.

Where are you based?
I am based in my hometown, Igualada.

What is it like to be a young designer in your city/country?
I used to go to Barcelona several times a week, to look for materials and inspiration. My town is just too small, but being a designer near Barcelona is grateful. There is a good cultural scene, music, galleries, restaurants, bookshops...but there is also a lack of other things that cities like Berlin or Amsterdam have.


What place/city do you find inspiring?
I really like Amsterdam and The Netherlands in general. I had been living there for a while and I really do think that there is something new going on. I think that art is an important part of life there, much more than in Spain. Art is much more considered, I think.

What is the concept behind your latest collection?
Mutation. The mutation of the body into an art space. The idea is to translate the atmosphere of a gallery to clothes and surround them with sculptures. The boundaries between art and fashion get blurry and the body becomes a sculpture itself. The surroundings of the body become part of it and everything mutates into one.

Was there a specific moment of inspiration when you realized the theme of your collection?
Yes, there was. I first started looking for colors, materials, and bring them all together instinctively. And then there was a point where everything made sense, it all comes for a reason. For me playing with the materials and colors is the way to find the reason.

Describe your collection in three words
Wearable, conceptual, with attitude.

Can you tell something about how you made the fabrics and your ideas behind it?
In this new collection I decided to use industrially-made fabrics as my next step is to offer my creations to the audience, even though almost all of them are hand painted. The fabrics I created for my graduate collection were completely hand made and the costs and maintenance were just impossible for that. That's why I decided to create a collection that can be wearable combined with interesting accessories/sculptures around the body. This makes possible to separate the experimental aspect of the clothes themselves, but as well have an interesting final image, which for me is the most important part.

Is there a certain feeling you would like to evoke in the audience?
I, first of all, like to find the beauty in where is not supposed to be and I would like the audience to realize that beauty is everywhere, not only where we are told to find it.


Did you always wanted to work in the field of fashion?
I've always wanted to, but I've always seen it as a first step. I would like to find my way and I don't see myself as a fashion designer but maybe more as art director.

Do you have a muse? If yes, who is it and why?
I don't think so... a part from my boyfriend. He opens my eyes when I am frustrated.

Who is your favorite fashion designer?
I could say a lot, but Celine, Hussein Challayan and Maison Martin Margiela wold be on my top 5 for sure.

What is so far your greatest experience in your 'fashion' career?
I think that C&A Reimagine Design Challenge had been a really nice experience and I really appreciate they let me participate. But I also did the art direction and layout design for an exhibition in New York for Textiles From Spain, and it was completely amazing.

Can you tell us something about your work for the C&A Reimagine Design Challenge?
The theme of celebrating the everyday life brought me to the still life paintings, which did as well talk about the fugacity of the life by everyday objects. So I decided to be inspired by them and to play with light was my aim for the product of the C&A challenge. I did create a texture made of plastic plates that are pink or white - it depends on where the light comes from.


What is on your music list while your making your collection?
Hidrogenesse, Coco Rosie, David Byrne and St.Vincent, Alt-j, Joan Colomo, Battles, The Knife, Mishima, Soap& Skin...

What made you smile today?
A forgotten, old and beloved song.

What is the latest thing you bought for yourself?
A running outfit.

What can we expect from you in the future?
Time will tell... At the moment, I am looking for my path, and see what it brings. I would like to open my online store really soon and for a distant future I would love to become curator or art director or as well I would love to work as color trend forecaster as I already did for almost a year.



Credits:
Label name: Georgina Santiago
Photographer: Daniel Armengol




Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...