woensdag 15 mei 2013

Yvonne Laufer at FASHIONCLASH Maastricht 2013


 Please introduce yourself to our readers. (Who are you, where do you come from and what is your field of specialization?)
I am a fashion designer with german roots currently based in Berlin, Germany. I recently graduated with an MA degree from The Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts, School of Design in Copenhagen, Denmark. Before, I studied in the Netherlands where I completed my BA degree at the Academy of Fine Arts & Design in Maastricht. With a passion for fields that I know little about I like to explore new methods and techniques that inspire both silhouette and surface of my designs. I love projects that combine fashion with other disciplines like art or science. For my graduation collection VOID – Exp. No I I experimented with different laser cut techniques based on the concept of negative space.




What inspires you in general?
Albert Einstein once said: “The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science.” It is hard to describe what inspires me in general but I guess it is this spark of mystery that you find in certain things. It makes you want to dive into a different world and create something that possesses this mysteriousness.

Where are you based?
I am currently based in Berlin, Germany. But who knows where the wind will take me in the future.

What is it like to be a young designer in your city/country?
I think Berlin is a very inspiring town. Things are possible here that normally wouldn't be possible in any other town. It seems to be very important to people to keep that freedom especially after the dark periods Berlin had to go through.
Unfortunately it is not that easy as a young fashion designer to survive in Berlin without an investor. People don't celebrate fashion design the same way they are in Paris and normally don't want to spend a lot on their wardrobe. Actually I have the feeling that you are the coolest if you spent close to nothing and still look very stylish.
 
What place/city do you find inspiring?
There is a lot of places that inspire me. I really like plant houses or old libraries. One of my favourite places is the Luisiana museum which is close to Copenhagen. I like it less for its contemporary art than for the building itself and the fantastic view on the ocean. I also enjoyed the time that I spent in Japan. The atmosphere was so fantastic, especially around the temples. I enjoyed the clash between tradition and innovation.

                                                   What is the concept behind your latest collection/creation?
I am fascinated by the world of science. It is a world that I know little about and that is surrounded by a mysterious aura. During this project I wanted to be part of this universe and adopted the role of a scientist. I created my own rules, methods and frameworks that resemble those of regular scientists. From my fascination of plants in combination with man made objects, I conducted experiments where both components interact: Plants are growing in and outside a confined space. While experimenting, I came across the concept of VOID or negative space.. I developed various laser cut techniques based on the concept of negative space. Some cut outs leave space for a second layer or another fabric, others form some kind of modern lace. VOID is a collection that embraces the presence of negative space. It explores the boundaries between form and non-form as well as materiality and nothingness. A universe for imaginary spaces.

Describe your collection/creation in three words
Curious, Mysterious & Visionary

Did you always wanted to work in the field of fashion?  
I had the wish to become a fashion designer from a very young age on. I can't exactly tell why. I just had the urge to create things that I could wear and was obsessed with the way I looked.

Do you have a muse? If yes, who is it and why?
I guess for every collection I create a new persona. Each time a bit different, but they always keep a certain mysteriousness. The muse for my last collection was an eccentric scientist that would go out in the woods to collect weird plants.

Who is your favourite fashion designer?
I really admire the work of Christobal Balenciaga. I like the simplicity and beauty of his creations.

What is on your music list while you are making your collection/creation?
I switch between Edith Piaf and Andy Stott. A wild mix of my all time favourites and rather abstract new electronic pieces.

What made you smile today?
My first ice cream this year with my boyfriend by the Maybachufer.

What is the latest thing you bought for yourself?
A simple black silk shirt.

What can we expect from you in the future?
I would really love to keep working on collaboration projects as well as my very own projects. One thing I am really fascinated with is fashion film and animation. I already did a small film and would love to do more.

Since you have been involved in FCM for five years, how do you look back on five years’ FCM?
I am happy to see how FASHIONCLASH has grown since it started out. It became a great Institution and I think it is one of a kind. It creates a place for the daring fashion designers, photographers, film makers and performance artists of our time. Since FASHIONCLASH started out it has been true to the original idea and improved from year to year.

How was it to study fashion in Denmark?
I really like the simplicity of scandinavian design and therefore decided to study in Denmark. The school was great. The teachers really trust you and let you do your “thing”. Furthermore the workshops are big and very well equipped. You can chose all of your courses yourself thats why I was able to learn a lot about different fields of fashion. Theory courses as well as one week law and business courses are obligatory. Every fashion project had to have a theoretical background which I really enjoyed. At the end you had to hand in the practical part and a written report.

You are participating in the MUUSE Platform. Can you tell us something about it?
“Our mission at MUUSE is to bring the work of the world's best 100 emerging fashion designers to people who love fashion. We collaborate with designers to produce well-crafted original pieces, designed by top talent. MUUSE designers are profiled by the press, selected by fashion press and admired by tastemakers worldwide.
MUUSE believes in slow fashion: small editions of clothing made to last. To ensure the best quality, MUUSE works with top tailors to translate designer visions into lasting, quality garments. This means pieces are not only uncompromising in their design, but high quality and unique garments - truly sustainable style.
Based in Copenhagen, MUUSE represents graduate designers internationally from the top fashion design schools, and sells worldwide.”
Muuse approached me after graduating to become part of their online platform. People that like the clothes that you designed get the opportunity to order a piece of your collection, tailor made in cooperation with Muuse. Since this is quite expensive they offer the designers to make small collections in collaboration with them. I designed a small collection and sent them the sketches. They pick some of the styles and are responsible for prototypes, production, press etc.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...