woensdag 29 juni 2016

JIVIKA BIERVLiET at FASHIONCLASH Festival 2016

design by Jivika Biervliet | eyewear by Peter Hsieh | photo by Kevin Daniel Croes
Jivika Biervliet is a menswear designer based in Arnhem. In 2010 she graduated from the HKU in Utrecht. In 2012 she started as an independent designer her self titled brand JIVIKA BIERVLiET.
Besides designing menswear she also started with designing kidswear and collaborating with dancers. Her strong preference for menswear arose from the feeling that menswear have more rules. Jivika Biervliet searches for existing borders in order to exceed them. Characteristic for her designs are the materials, the clean lines and also the playfulness within the collections. The pieces are conceptual, experimental and wearable at the same time.

Jivika will collaborate with jewelry designer Peter Hsieh for her new collection, shown on Friday July 1 during Show 2 21:00, get your tickets here. You can also see Jivika Biervliet's work during FASHIONCLASH Festival at the Heritage Exhibition (July 1 + 2 at SAMdecorfabriek)



When did you realise you wanted to be a fashion designer? How long have you been designing clothing? 
It actually happened very accidentally. When I was 18 I subscribed for an art contest and chose to design a fashion collection while I had never designed anything. So I just did it and teached myself really quickly how to sew, and then I won (it was a really bad collection). After that I did and entrance exam at the HKU and in 2010 I graduated in the course Fashion Communication. Right after that I started to focus on menswear.

In what projects are you involved at this moment?
It's something really cool and such a big honor. Ruben, the shoe designer I'd worked together with in the last Fashionclash edition, asked me to design his wedding suit. He's going to marry in September!

'Men, colors and good vibes.'

How would you define fashion? 
I believe fashion is about freedom, it's a way to express ourselves without words

Who are your artistic influences or inspirations and why? 
I always listen to hiphop, the whole day, every day, so I believe this influences me because it brings me in the right mood.

Finding your own voice is difficult, where and how do you find your personal creativity (before you start designing; during the design process)? 
It happens in my head and starts with a feeling which I want to share and just start. And I really need to be alone during the start so I can work from my intuition.

What challenges did you face during the design process? Working with colors. Most of the times I work with black. I also always wear black and think in black silhouettes so it was quite a challenge to do this differently. I started with not wearing black. People who know me and saw me walking with all these colors got confused haha

What do you want to communicate with your designs in general?
No rules

Can you tell us something about the project you will present at the FASHIONCLASH Festival?
This time I will collaborate again with jewelry/accessory designer Peter Hsieh, we have also worked together in the last edition. It will be colorfull and shiny with indian influences.

Why have you decided to participate at FASHIONCLASH Festival?
Because it's always too much fun, it's inspiring and they offer us many opportunities. This is the fifth time I participate at Fashionclash, third time with a show.

What can we expect from you at the festival? 
Men, colors and good vibes

Can you tell us something about your heritage? 
My parents are from Surinam, my mother has Indian roots and my father is completely mixed. I am raised with Hinduism and Catholicism and believe everything is one

How is the theme Heritage related to your work (can be also preferred to previous work)? 
For this collection I was inspired by my indian roots, you can find this back in the colors, the drapings, the silhouettes and the styling.

If you could trade your heritage, for what would you trade it? 
I wouldn't trade it, I appreciate it that I'm raised with different cultures. I think this is also a great thing from The Netherlands, that so many different cultures are living together in such a small
country. Only thing which I think it's really sad, that there is still not acceptance everywhere between these cultures, while we can learn so much from each other.

What’s a standard day for you? 
Get up at 7:15, meditate in bed, open my curtains backwards with one eye open, pray, drink coffee, turn on the music, work, and ending the day with a yoga class.

Vegan, vegetarian, healthy diet or any food will do? 
Vegetarian.

What’s your favourite song, food and movie at the moment? 
All time favourite song: D'Angelo - Cruisin', this is also my alarm to wake up. Favourite food: Chocolate sorbet ice cream.  Favourite Movie: E.T. & Gone Girl.

What is your bad habit?
I can miss people very badly, it can be so bad that I dream about someone every night for months.

What’s your favourite city?
Amsterdam, because my sister and her kids live there.

What/Who do you miss the most when you are not at home? 
My family, friends and the yoga classes.

Read more about Jivika and her brand: http://www.jivikabiervliet.com/






































Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...