maandag 6 juni 2016

Kukka by Laura Luchtman at FASHIONCLASH Festival 2016

Meet Laura Luchtman, she is a textile and surface designer with a main focus on fashion. In 2008 she started her career in fashion as an in-house designer, developing intimate apparel collections. Two years later, she established her design studio Kukka out of love for prints and patterns. She works freelance and on commission with wholesalers, retailers and independent brands both independent and through agents.

You can see and buy Laura Luchtman´s work at Designer Market. Friday July 1 open at 18:30 and Saturday July 2 open at 16:00 (free entrance).

Where are you from? Where are you based at this moment? 
I was born and raised in Heerlen, Limburg. I live and work in Rotterdam for quite some time now. My studio is located in the Historical Delfshaven part of Rotterdam in what used to be an orphanage. The building is filled with creative entrepreneurs. It's an inspiring community to be part of.

In what projects are you involved at this moment? 
At the moment I’m designing swimwear and accessories prints for S/S 2017 for several clients and I recently started a new collaboration with Hunt + Gather print studio in the US.

Who are your artistic influences or inspirations and why? 
I find most of my inspiration in nature and music. I can start a design from a certain shape or colour, a song lyric or from a mood that music evokes. I look up to designers like Alexander McQueen, Matthew Williamson, Anna Sui, Mary Katrantzou, Peter Pilotto, ANNTIAN and Mara Hoffman for their beautiful and clever use of patterns.

What challenges did you face during the design process? 
Staying true to my own style and aesthetic. I’m so used to creating prints for other brands that I subconsciously started the design process with an end consumer in mind instead of what I like and it didn’t work. So I let go of the first designs and created something completely different. Now I’m very happy with the end result! The designs don’t have to appeal to a wide audience, but I think there’s a good chance they will.



Can you tell us something about the project you will present at the FASHIONCLASH Festival? 

Since I spend most of my time designing for someone else’s brand or design style I started longing for something of my own. I wanted to search for my own voice and put it out there. That’s why I’m presenting my first scarf collection at FASHIONCLASH Festival Designer Market under the Kukka label. It is a small but focused collection of digitally printed, locally produced scarves in wonderfully soft silks.

What does your collection try to communicate (what is it about)? 
The collection titled “Entomology” magnifies and dissects wondrous insects in striking unusual prints. Their colours, patterns and symmetry fascinate me. They’re an infinite source of inspiration. This collection shows how fragile and yet powerful nature is.

Why have you decided to participate at FASHIONCLASH Festival? 
I follow FASHIONCLASH since the beginning and I was always keen on participating myself one day. I think FASHIONCLASH is an excellent opportunity to get my designs noticed and at the same time see how people react to my designs and meet other designers and interesting people.

What’s a standard day for you? 
I don’t really have standard days, that’s what I like the most about my work!

Are you a people's person or a loner? 
I’m a little bit of both. When I go out I always try to bring people together, the more the merrier. But I prefer to work on my own or in a small team and I need time alone to recharge when I had some busy days with meeting a lot of people, both personally and professionally.

What’s your favourite city? 
My favourite city is Rotterdam where I live and work. In ways it reminds me of Heerlen where I grew up. They’re both a little rough around the edges and a continuing work in progress. Some of it's city centre concrete ugliness you learn to appreciate. The same inferior complex or rivalry Heerlen has with Maastricht, Rotterdam has or had with Amsterdam. There’s always something new to explore in Rotterdam and for most part it's inhabitants shape the city. I like the down-to-earth style of the Rotterdam people. Rotterdam knows what it’s good at but doesn’t feel the need to brag about it. I’m also a big fan of Helsinki and London.

Who are your target consumers? 
Women who love to accessorize, appreciate good quality and fine fabrics and a distinctive design with a slight twist.

What is your price range? 
My silk scarves sell for around € 140 but I also have items in a much lower price segment, making them affordable to anyone.

For more information about Laura and her brand Kukka: http://www.kukka.nl/



Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...